For many couples, engagement session portraits are their first time in front of the camera. It’s a great opportunity to get a feel for what it’s like, as well as to get to know your wedding photographer and their style. But before I share my top 20 favorite engagement session poses, I want to let you in on a little secret: Going into your engagement session, don’t worry about posing.
Wait – but isn’t this a blog about engagement session poses?
Yes, indeed it is! But you don’t have to panic over what to do with your hands or if that angle is flattering – that’s my job! As your photographer, I will prompt you to connect with your partner and talk you through how to look best and leave a little room for your interpretation of how you two work together. My goal is to always make you and your partner look the most in love and connected with each other while also having a lot of fun. I always want my couples to feel comfortable and natural in front of the camera, so I’ll even bring out my best jokes to create real laughs, not just your “photo smiles.” I rarely photograph super serious and looking away from each other because that’s just not my style – as you can see from my portfolio.
With all that being said, I will ease you into “poses” so they feel fluent – not forced. I have some favorite go-to poses that I love because they encourage playfulness and closeness which often leads to couples showing more of their genuine habits – like making silly faces at each other or holding pinkies or tucking back a strand of your partner’s hair.
First...A Few Quick General Tips
- The left hand carries the engagement ring so keep that in mind!
- Always tell your photographer if you have a “good side” that you prefer.
- If you are getting your hair and makeup professionally done, always be honest with them about what you like or don’t like. They want to make you happy and feel good about yourself. It’s easier to speak up than to leave the salon unhappy and have that flaw stand out to you when you see your final portraits.
And Now For My 20 Favorite Poses!
These twenty poses are tried and true- and I really do believe these poses provide the best outcomes for creating incredible engagement portraits – for every couple! Please note that these poses can work for same-sex couples as well, depending on height and size differences.
1. Seated Side by Side
2. Hang Off Arm
3. Piggy Back Ride
4. Seated on Steps
6. Facing the Camera While Holding Hands in the Middle
7. Arm Wrapped Around Shoulder While Walking
8. Hugs from Behind with Arms Around the Top of Shoulders
9. Hugs From Behind with Head on Arm or Back
10. Leaning Against Wall
11. The Lift
12. Sitting on Lap
13. Running or Walking
14. Sitting Pose with Mermaid Pose
15. The Almost Kiss
16. Kiss on the Cheek
17. Kiss on the Hand
18. Cradle Lift
19. Kiss on the Forehead
20. Standing Belly to Belly & Nose to Nose with Feet Towards Each Other (This one is my favorite for silhouettes!)
We hope these poses help you feel inspired and ready for your own engagement session portraits. If you take away anything, please let it be to trust your photographer to help you through the session and create beautiful portraits of you and your partner!